Monday, October 8, 2012

Cole Turns Two !

Monkey See Monkey Do,
Our Little Monkey Made It To Two !
 


It has been a busy week.  We celebrated Cole's 2 year birthday on Saturday, October 6th with a monkey themed party.  We felt very blessed to be surrounded by so many of our friends and family who have prayed for Cole over the last two years.  He had a fun time playing on the jungle moon bounce, watching his friends get their faces painted, playing chase with his friends, swinging in the basement and playing in the infamous "tent".

I am excited to share that he had his 2 year pediatrician's appointment today and he is finally on the growth chart!  He is 1% for weight and 4% for height.  Praise the Lord!  And that is without correcting for age (he is technically 3 months behind but they stop correcting at age 2).  So the moral to the story is....slow and steady wins the race?  Or maybe PERSISTENCE?!  Any way you look at it, we are so proud of Cole for the accomplishments he has made over the last year and can't wait to see what the next year will bring.  I am always amazed with all I can learn from such a young man.



To follow our new annual tradition, we also spent private time as a family on Sunday to remember Kendall.  We went to my parent's property in Philomont to start a small bonfire and light a lantern in memory of Kendall on the anniversary of her ascension into Heaven.  Unfortunately it was a little colder than last year and definitely a little more rainy.  Even though they don't understand the intentions for our memorial, the kids were really good sports about the cold and rainy activity. 

As we watched the lantern rise into the sky toward Heaven, we reflected on how much we have learned from our little angel.  The memories of holding Kendall are still very close to our hearts and the pain of not being able to watch her grow up will always sting.  But as I reflect on our loss, I wonder if I have misunderstood her purpose.  I have always believed that Cole was delivered early and suffered selflessly to give his sister a chance at life.  When Johnny and I were given the option to let her perish in the womb to give Cole just a little longer to get stronger we both believed if we could ask him that he would want to give her a chance to live. 

As I thought about Kendall yesterday I started to think....perhaps she is the one who fought selflessly to give Cole a chance at life.  She started to lose amniotic fluid at 18 weeks.  The fact that I did not get an infection and that she lived until 25 weeks and 6 days is a miracle in itself.  Perhaps Kendall is also a hero for fighting her battle for so long to make sure Cole was able to have the energy to fight the battle he would soon need to face.

We miss our baby girl.  And although a day doesn't go by that I don't question why God has taken us on this journey, I thank Him for the two beautiful children that keep me wanting to be a better person. I marvel at every new thing they learn and I am reminded that miracles do happen.  If blessings were dollars I would be a very rich woman....



2 comments:

  1. Danielle and JJ,
    What a beautiful story. I got so teary eyed reading. Your both wonderful, strong and amazing parents and are very blessed to have such an amazing family.
    Love all of you,
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing Danielle !! What a beautiful thing to do !!

    ReplyDelete