Monday, March 9, 2015

Angel Gown for Kendall

As many of you know, I took pictures of Reagan in May playing dress up in my wedding dress because I decided to donate it.  The pictures were adorable and although it was hard to box up and say good-bye to the dress, I felt like I was making the right choice.  Knowing that Angel Gowns in Virginia was inundated with dress donations after their Channel 7 news broadcast, I wasn't surprised I didn't hear back from anyone.  If you want to watch the broadcast about this amazing group of women, here is the link on YouTube.

I did include a letter with my dress about our journey with a picture of our precious angel, Kendall, hoping I would hear back from the seamstress who was chosen to sew dresses from my gown.  For those of you not familiar with this program, this group of volunteers restitches donated wedding dresses into angel gowns for babies who are called to Heaven after birth.  They make gowns in differing sizes for micro preemies up to full birth deliveries.  They also make demise pouches for babies too small for a gown or who have skin that is too fragile.

I recently received a message from the seamstress, Sherry!  I was so excited to "meet" her on FaceBook and learn that she would be starting to work with my dress.  Sherry asked about Kendall's weight and made the first dress for her.  I can't imagine a more perfect dress to honor our precious angel.  Sherry said when she read my story she imagined Kendall dancing in this dress in Heaven.  If Kendall is anything like her sister, Reagan, I know she would love dressing like a princess and twirling until she gets dizzy.  Sherry has already made six gowns from my wedding dress to include a dress from the lining!  I am amazed at how each dress looks so different even though they are cut from the same cloth.  Each one delicately designed to be soft against the skin.

If anyone is interested in getting involved with this great organization, they are currently looking for seamstresses.  Once they are able to catch up with their supply of wedding dresses they will be accepting dresses again.  Check their website for the latest information on what donations they need.  They often need ribbon, thread, and boxes to ship gowns, etc.

Although I am not involved in stitching these beautiful gowns, I love knowing that my dress has been used to help other families who will have to face a journey like ours.  I only wish these were available when Kendall was born to help us see her beauty and innocence during such a difficult time.  These gowns really do help me imagine her dancing in Heaven.

We were lucky enough to meet Sherry and her sister Brenda who also sews gowns for Angel Gowns in Virginia.  They live in Stephen City but met us in Purcellville to give us Kendall's dress (pictured above with a blanket I had as a baby) and meet Cole and Reagan.  We hadn't shared much about this meeting with the kids…mostly because it's sometimes hard to explain.  Cole immediately gave Sherry a big hug and Reagan immediately wanted the gown for her doll.  I explained that this dress is very special and that it was for Kendall.  Reagan immediately asked when we could take it to her in Heaven and asked how we would get there.  We've talked about Heaven, but it's still somewhat confusing for them.  I explained that it wasn't our time to go to Heaven yet and that we would be keeping the dress to remember her…which created even more confusion.    Again, I explained that only our spirit goes to Heaven.  To which Reagan responded, "It's just not fair we don't get to have our sister with us. I really wish I could meet her.  I bet I would like her."  To which I responded, "Yes, honey.  You are right, but if we work really hard, we too will get to go to Heaven one day to be with her."


1 comment:

  1. Danielle, Thank you so much for donating such a beautiful gown, and for sharing your story and photo of Kendall. I am honored to have been able to present an Angel gown to you in memory of your precious Angel. Quite a few tears were shed while I was designing it...I wanted it to be the most beautiful gown I'd created! I hope that it will bring a little smile each time you look at it, and i want you to know that a huge part of my heart went in to every stitch. I cant describe the emotions that I feel with each gown.....the satisfaction of knowing that I may ease some of the pain and hurt of the parents, the awe ,in seeing how beautiful each gown is, and then the sadness , of knowing what these gowns are used for.
    I hope you know that you will forever hold a place in my heart, and I look forward to the day that I will be able to see Kendall twirling and dancing in Heaven...the way I see her when I think of her now ! God Bless you and your beautiful family!

    ReplyDelete