Friday, November 20, 2015

New slant board for Cole - What a difference!

Just a few quick updates for those of you who read the blog and don't see it on Facebook.  We had the orthotists heat and stretch Reagan's brace.  He also added a large pad inside to reduce the rubbing.  Night one she still went to bed with tears but SLEPT THROUGH THE NIGHT!  It was SO nice...for both of us.  Unfortunately, every night since she's woken up again irritated (sometimes uncomfortable or itching).  I've decided with the short week next week we're going to try to see if time will help adjust to the brace.  And with several days at home, we may do some daytime work with the brace so she can get a good night's sleep.  We will go back to see the orthotist after the holidays if necessary.  I'm hoping we get some insight when we see the Physiatrist on December 1st, however.

I wanted to share a quick poem I wrote one night after putting Reagan to bed.  We had just read a Dr. Seuss book so he was on my mind as I thought about Reagan struggling to fall asleep.

"One sock, two sock, pink sock, blue sock. Tall sock, short sock, half sock, whole sock. No sock too. I will throw this brace at you. No, no, this brace will not do. I don't want this brace and I do not want you. 
On brace, off brace, red spot, hot spot. Eight days now, and I say that's enough. I do not want this brace, it just will not do. I will cry each night I say. Until you make this brace go away. I will wake you one time, two times, four. You will not sleep any more. Not if I have to sleep this way.
What do you say? This brace must stay? Oh what will I do? I do not like this brace and I do not like you. You say you love me, yes you do. But why do you make me hurt this way? I just want it all to go away...
You will wear this brace I say, because you need to, it's the way. You will wear it, yes that's true. Even though you don't want to. You will wear it, yes you will. Because you know I have faith in you..."


In other news, Cole has a new slant board that he's using at school.  I can't tell you how much I appreciate our new TVI (Teacher of the Visually Impaired).  It is amazing to look at these two pictures and see what a difference such a small adaptation can make for Cole.  I am constantly concerned about back pain since he is always leaning over books or art projects. Although he has been using a 3-ring binder to lift content, it wasn't large enough for art projects and wasn't able to be as high as this one.  As you can see in these pictures, in the top picture his back and neck are bent to lean over the book to count the apples on the character's head in the Dr. Seuss book.  In the second picture, he is still able to count the apples without having to lean toward the content.  This fancy new clipboard has three settings so he can also use it to write.  Anyone want to guess how much a plastic stand like this costs?  Yup, $200.  Wow, I'm in the wrong business.  The good news is that he will be able to take this to Kindergarten with him since it was purchased for him, not for the classroom.  I'm super excited about this new tool for Cole!

I'm also excited to share that Cole was on the front page of the Loudoun County Public Schools webpage today!  Cole was asked to come to his friend Sammy Child's Home Economics class (now called Family and Consumer Sciences).  She was inspired by our visit to Ronald McDonald House over the summer and used that inspiration to propose a class project to make blankets for Ronald McDonald House.  She invited us to join her to present the blankets to a representative from Ronald McDonald House and share what receiving a blanket meant to us.  What a great cause and a special young lady who is helping others! For the full article go to www.lcps.org or click on the image below to make it larger and read it in full.

No comments:

Post a Comment