Sunday, December 4, 2016

Neurology update, Orthodontist and a New Developmental Pediatrician

Most recently we met with the kids' neurologist, Dr. Lavenstein.  This was an appointment I was a little nervous about because Reagan hasn't had her medication level increased in over a year and a half.  If we don't increase the meds I worry about breakthrough seizures and if we do increase the meds I worry about them making her "snowed" during the increase.  The appointment went well.  He said that Reagan is still in the mid-range of the medication dose for her weight.  So she will stay at that level and we will plan another EEG prior to our next appointment next May.

Cole also had a good appointment and Dr. Lavenstein was happy to hear he wasn't having as many head aches.  I was a little surprised when he said, "so what else do you want to talk about?"  And then said the words I wasn't ready for, "I don't think he needs to come back unless he's having issues."  Wait, what?!  DISCHARGE?!  Didn't see that coming !  One less appointment?  I'll take it!  Although I still have to go and take him for Reagan's appointments, but it's nice to have one less appointment for him.

Cole also had an appointment with the orthodontist.  He has a tooth that he lost a few months ago that has nowhere to come in so I wanted to see if we need to do anything proactively to prevent it from coming in as a second row tooth.  Luckily she said we should wait until he loses the symmetrical one on the other side and see how that comes in first.  If it doesn't push the canine out then we will probably have to extract a tooth to make room and to prevent the teeth from moving more than necessary.  Ultimately it will mean brackets on the bottom to widen the space and he will need a palate expander on the top as well.

In addition to all this fun, I also had an appointment with a Developmental Pediatrician at Capital Area Pediatrics.  I completed a lot of paperwork about Cole's history and met to discuss my concerns.  It was a great appointment and I really felt that she understood our situation.  We have another appointment next week for her to meet Cole and do some testing.

As promised, I like to include funny quotes from the kids and haven't had any lately.  I have two for this update.

So we were in church last week and were reciting a prayer that includes "cast into Hell Satan."  Cole leaned over and whispered, "Mom, what makes you get sent to hell?"  I told him that any time you turn away from God by sinning that you are listening to Satan. He paused and said, "hey mom, I'm a little worried about my friend A from school because I think he is listening to Satan.  We better tell my teacher before it's too late!" So cute that he is worried about him!

One more.  So I was putting Cole to bed tonight.  As I often do, I gave him a kiss and told him I love him to the Moon and back. He looked at me and said, "Hey mom, that's only 4 days away.  The sun is much further, don't you think you should love me to the sun and back?" Can't argue with that logic !



No comments:

Post a Comment