Friday, August 8, 2014

UVA Constraint Therapy ~ Day 6, horse back riding and band camp!

Fifty percent done!  Overall we had a good week in Charlottesville.  Our Day 6 started out smoothly with a very low key morning.  It gave all of us some much needed down time before therapy at 1pm.  After the meltdown on Tuesday we decided it will probably be best if I only join the therapy sessions toward the end.  Unfortunately that means I don't get as many pictures.  But on the same token I want what's best for Reagan.

I've been thinking a lot about this round at UVA versus the last one.  I have definitely noticed a big difference with transference.  When Reagan had the cast all day every day for 30 days in March and August of 2013 I really felt we worked very hard for a full month.  It was painful.  It was grueling.  But it was productive and we saw amazing results.  This round I feel like we work really hard three days every week.  But when we come home, although she uses her left hand, it just isn't as intense.  With that said, I am impressed with how much Reagan uses her left hand.  At her riding lesson today she was telling everyone all about Charlottesville and how she goes there to work on "making lefty stronger".  I am so happy to see her so proud of her accomplishments but would love to know how different things would be if we were placed in the 5 days of therapy with a cast for 30 days.  Call me an over achiever, but I love seeing the smile on that face!  I look forward to one day reading the research findings.  And you can see in all these pictures that she is working hard on using it and the smiles show that she is excited about how much her hard work is paying off.

It was a big day for Reagan at riding.  She played a game where she had to touch the dressage letters posted on the rails and it was all with lefty!  And then she not only cantered for the first time but also started jumping!  Her giggle said it all!  I'm so proud of her!

Today the kids spent the morning with their cousins at the Loudoun Valley High School band camp.  It's great for them to spend time with their cousins and see music in action. Cole has shown such an interest in music that we started him in a music class at Bach 2 Rock.  Today was his third lesson and he is having so much fun.  Each week he is introduced to a new instrument.  And today he also learned about the staff, clefs, and drew notes on the whiteboard.



No comments:

Post a Comment