Wednesday, August 13, 2014

UVA Constraint Therapy ~ Day 8

Low key is becoming our new mantra!  Not necessarily intentional, but our schedule just doesn't allow much else to fit in these days.  Our day started with therapy at 11am for Cole followed by therapy at 12:30pm for Reagan.  They both had a lot of fun today.  Cole worked on using scissors to cut straws.  I never would have thought to try that, but they are easier to cut than paper since they aren't flimsy and he doesn't have to manipulate them - just hold them to cut.  His therapist, Alan, fabricated a special modification that made the finger holes smaller so it was easier for him to use.  And lucky for us…we get to take them home next week!  Cutting is definitely extremely difficult for Cole still so I'm excited to see how they work.

Reagan had another fun day with Ruth working on weight bearing through Yoga, playing with rice and other games and doing swing activities.  She has mastered the "candle" move and especially loves the table and downward dog.  Ruth said she has asked Reagan to touch her phone button on occasion over the last three weeks to check the time (they study has very strict protocols on how long certain activities last).  Today was the first day Reagan's left hand pointer finger was strong enough to push the button and light up the phone.  What a great sign of building strength!  Pretty exciting news.  This is the first step in being able to do things like button a shirt or her pants.

I was able to get several hours of work done while the kids were at therapy, but I wasn't able to finish one of my client deliverables.  So we went back to the hotel after therapy and I worked for a couple hours while the kids played and Emily watched them.  Then Emily was nice enough to give Mommy a night out with another mom who is here, Deena, whose son Tyler is also in the program.  We also spent our first UVA Constraint Therapy program together during the big snow storm of March 2013.  It was great to get out and talk about the program and about nothing.  It means so much to have someone who can empathize with what it is like to face the daily challenges that we face.  Before having children, losing a child, and going through brain surgery with each, I never would have guessed all the amazing people I would meet.  The people who would give me strength.  The people who would give me hope.  And mostly, the people who would let me cry and remind me to get back up…that it will be ok.  And although I would trade the journey without question, I am blessed for the paths I have crossed and the lessons I have learned along the way.  One more day and we're headed home….

No comments:

Post a Comment